Relief Is Available For People Experiencing Back Pain
Most people will experience back pain – whether from injury or from a medical condition – at some point in their lives. In addition to the discomfort that inhibits their ability to perform daily living tasks, back pain is a leading cause of missed time at work.
Influences one will experience back pain:
- Being ages 50 and older: The more time you’ve spent on this planet, the more likely the possibility of injury or medical issues that can lead to back pain.
- Being a woman: Post-menopausal women, in particular, can be susceptible to compression fractures caused by osteoporosis. Women also should be aware that back pain can be one of the not-so-obvious symptoms of heart attack.
- Obesity: Carrying around extra weight can compromise the integrity of the spine and pinch nerves. It also can lead to conditions, such as osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis, each of which can contribute to back pain.
- Work demands: Anyone in a job like construction, warehouse work or working in restaurants where you’re on your feet all day or moving around heavy objects, risks back pain from injury. Likewise, people with office jobs in Chicago’s skyscrapers and truck drivers delivering goods to the Windy City’s warehouses may not get up and move around enough to keep flexible, sometimes leading to back pain.
Among the causes of back pain are:
- Structural problems: The back is an intricately balanced framework made up of bones, disks, ligaments, tendons and muscles. When any of these elements becomes moved out of place or if there are skeletal irregularities, they can lead to back pain.
- Medical issues: Cancer, infections or nerve conditions, such as cauda equina syndrome also can lead to back pain.
- Poor mental health: Physical pain, including back pain, for some people, is a manifestation of an underlying emotional problem.
Chicago Back Pain Treatment
Though back pain sometimes can resolve itself in as little as 72 hours with self-care, there are many times it can’t. In some instances, back pain may require medical treatment. Some back pain may require additional medical treatment such as therapy, chiropractic care, spinal injections or surgery.
Whatever the cause of your back pain, Core Rehab Pain Specialists can help you identify and treat it. Call (773) 229-9600 to make an appointment today.